Perak Menteri Besar’s Executive Talk And New Year Message 2021: 1 February 2021
The Perak Menteri Besar delivering his New Year Message 2021.
IPOH, 1 February 2021 – During his Executive Talk and New Year Message 2021, Perak Menteri Besar Dato’ Saarani Mohamad emphasised on five aspects to be focussed on throughout 2021.
All these five focusses are also the key to the main agenda of Perak. The five focusses are as follows: -
The Menteri Besar proposed that the state government look at revenue generating opportunities for the state in 2021 without introducing new taxes that can burden the people and industry players. The various methods include: -
The Menteri Besar outlined 3 approaches that can be practised by Perak civil servants to improve service delivery: -
3. Upholding Social Justice and Poverty Eradication
The Menteri Besar stressed that the eradication of poverty should be restored as an important agenda of the government. High-impact projects need to be redoubled to address issues of poverty, unemployment and reduce income gaps.
4. Driving Modernisation and Digital Culture
The Menteri Besar affirmed that the State Government will facilitate and provide undivided support for efforts to improve digital infrastructure with the aim of improving the coverage and quality of telecommunications services to ensure continuity and diversity of infrastructure in supporting the digital ecosystem as well as ensuring quality services provided to consumers.
5. Leading Sustainability of Resources and the Environment
The Menteri Besar insisted that the state Government be committed to be a leader in resource and environmental sustainability by creating a holistic plan to promote the "Perak Bumi Lestari" agenda. It is hoped that this agenda will be able to drive the state’s development sustainably. My strategy to implement the “Perak Bumi Lestari” agenda is outlined as follows:
• Enculturing Environmental Preservation and Conservation - Among the efforts that need to be emphasised under this strategy is to increase public education and awareness of the environment; implement immediate and proactive action to address issues and problems related to the environment as well as strengthening the role of the private sector in environmental management. The practice of avoiding single-use plastic for example should be applied in the respective departments as part of the enculturisation process.
• Building a Conducive Environment Based on Green Technology - The state government welcomes cooperation with the private sector through the Public Private Partnership (PPP) to implement green technology initiatives to support the construction of a conducive environment. Examples of renewable energy projects such as solar, hydro, geothermal energy and so forth. Investors related to the green technology industry will be interested in investing if we provide incentives or attractive packages for them.
• Ensuring Balanced Development - The Perak State Government is committed to formulating a balanced development strategy, that is, to protect and conserve nature while implementing development. Among the focus under this strategy is to harmonise and integrate the environmental dimension in the policy of all sectors, as well as strengthening enforcement related to environmental issues.
The five main thrusts were presented by Perak Menteri Besar Dato' Saarani Mohamad in his speech at the Executive Talk and New Year Message 2021 Ceremony held virtually at the Perak State Secretariat Banquet Hall.
Also present were State Legislative Assembly Speaker Dato' Mohamed Zahir Abd. Khalid, State Secretary Dato' Ahmad Suaidi Abd. Rahim, State Legal Adviser Azmir Shah Zainal Abidin, State Financial Officer Dato' Zulazlan Abu Hassan and State Exco Members.
This is the first ceremony conducted virtually involving all state assemblymen and state and federal department heads in Perak.